April 4, 2010- BGEE

April 4, 2010- BGEE
Best Greek Easter Ever

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Getting To Know New Zealand a Bit

Sorry its been a few days. Will try to catch up with photos and commentary.
April 26- The day started ominously; I awoke from a dream about home. In the dream, I returned home to Fort Bragg briefly, and the longer I was around (the post office?) the more people surrounded me with questions and concerns (Anne from home Health was there, and I was told our cat Saturday had gone AWOL, and I kept trying to give people my cell phone number, but for the life of me I could not remember it, just a cascade of old numbers ran through my head). So I awoke in a troubled state, and when I turned on my global cell phone, there was a voicemail from Jasper, our house sitter, that he couldn’t get the home phone line to work (but the cat was fine, thankfully). So a fair chunk of the morning was spent contacting ATT from NZ (on our dime, of course), but I think we straightened it out, but I guess lost our FB home phone number of 26 years. At the end of the day, I did some shopping, and had 2 different credit cards denied, so that led to more calls to “customer service” in the US. One company was just interested to hear we were in New Zealand, so that was no problem, but the other wanted to verify some purchases last week at a Wal-Mart in Michigan. Not cool. So that card gets canceled, and we have to hope the Public Storage locker in Richmond doesn’t auction off our stuff because the automatic MasterCard payment won’t work. I guess the optimist might note it is actually possible to work these things out around the globe with the Internet. Thank you, Al Gore!
It wasn’t all bad. We went mid-day to Kelly Tarlton’s Underwater World and Antarctic Encounter. You see, Kelly was a more commercial disciple of J. Cousteau, and was a man with a dream, a visionary. 25 years ago, he acquired a section of abandoned Auckland sewage system and turned into a walk-through shark encounter, later adding King and Gentoo penguins that you visit by riding in an Autotopia-style Sno-Cat. Did I mention the re-creation of Sir Robert Scott’s Antarctic hut, or the ubiquitous sting rays?
Sound hokey? You betcha, but fun and educational.
On the way back, got caught in a downpour and rode a free downtown shuttle with a large group of wet schoolchildren. All-in-all, we had a good introduction to the largest city in NZ, and look forward to returning to re-visit the museum and visit some of the islands in the Hauraki Gulf, maybe a little wine tasting. Now, off to Wellington!
Windy Wellington, The Capital
Wed April 28. We arrive in Wellington primarily so I can take care of some business and secondarily to see some things. I am scheduled to meet at the Medical Council of New Zealand Office to finalize my license requirements tomorrow. We are met at the airport by Kate VanEchten, the point-person for NZMedics, the firm I worked with to get a placement here. We have exchanged so many e-mails and phone conversations since August I am eager to finally meet her. She is younger and 6 months more pregnant than I expected, but very pleasant and helpful. We first go to the hotel, then I am taken to a lab to swab my nares and nether regions for MRSA screen (they just told me about this). Then off to the Post Office to apply for a tax ID, and to the NZMedics office for a spot of tea. Everything goes smoothly. Time for a little walk around exploring, dinner, then off to bed.
Thurs. April 29- Wellington is nice. Did I mention it is windy? We took the cable car up the hill past the university up to the botanical garden and observatory. Lovely view.Then took a nice walk around the harbor to the national museum, alongside bustling shops and restaurants. Since we arrived in NZ April 25, ANZAC Day, I have been searching for ANZAC biscuits, the traditional way to celebrate this joint Kiwi/Aussie Veteran's Day. Finally found them in the upscale "New World market" here.In the pm, had the appointment with the NZ Medical Council for final approval of my license; a mere formality as it turned out. A handsome young civil servant took a cursory look at my hand-carried, original diplomas and documents, had me fill out a form I already filled out, and said he will mail the final certificate to me.
That night, we had a lovely dinner by the harbor, and went to a play, “Dead Man’s Cell Phone”. An interesting premise, lost its way at the end, but fun to support the local arts.
Friday April 30- Theoretically, a day at leisure. Spent much of the morning on the phone and internet with “me mum”. Friday here is Thursday there, the day I usually call her, and while we were on the phone, her tech support person came in. I thought it would be a good opportunity to get her up and running on Skype. Not such a good idea, limited success; we’ll see if it ever gets done. (Skyping with Sofia and Kimarra has been a real joy- HIGHLY recommended for those far away- get on-line, we may Skype you too!).
Did I mention the wind? Today was possibly the third or fourth windiest day I have experienced, along with the Falkland Islands, Cape Horn, and a sand storm on the pass between El Paso and Carlsbad Caverns. Finally went in the national museum, Te papa Tongarewa, a tourist must. Actually, we liked the Auckland Museum more, but lots of interesting exhibits, Maori stuff, extinct animals (the giant moa bird and eagle), colossal squids, Phar Lap’s skeleton, and a certain Fab Four with local jewelry. Went to the cinema, saw a really good NZ film “Boy”. Highly recommended, see it if you have the chance. Among other things, some interesting twists on Michael Jackson choreography. A walk by the Capitol and parliament, then a quiet night. On to Timaru in AM.
Timaru, At Last
Saturday, May Day, 2010- Today was a day literally circled on my calendar for six months, the day I arrive where we will be living and working for the next six months. It was a bright, partly-cloudy day, fairly calm, really beautiful. There was a rainbow out the window of our two-engine prop plane for the one-hour flight to the South Island. And there was no security to strip down for at the airport! It was clear enough to see the glacier-bound peaks and Mt. Cook, over 12,000 feet, the highest spot in Australasia. The air was fresh and clean as we alit in Timaru, at the seaward edge of a fertile plain. A cab was sent to pick us up. We went to the hospital to pick up keys, then were driven ½ block to our new home across the street from the Botanical Gardens. I was expecting a flat, but instead we found a 3-bedroom home, washer/drier, our two trunks sent from the US, and a Toyota for our use.
After a bit of unpacking, we walked the two miles or so into town, very quiet for a Saturday, and had brunch at a café over-looking the park stretching down to the beach on Caroline Bay. Unbelievably lovely; Fort Bragg could really use something like this. A long walk home, a bit of shopping and orientation at the I-Site for tourist information, and more un-packing and settling in. later on we found an unassuming restaurant in front of a motel 2 blocks away for a really good dinner of scallops and rack of lamb (what else?).
The slogan so far of our trip has been “exceeding expectations”. At every stop, things have been nicer and more beautiful that anticipated. And in particular, the food, wine, and coffee have been exceptional. And we currently have plenty of room for those interested in a visit.
Sunday, May 2- Slept in a bit, then found the Kentucky Derby live on the 24 hr horse-racing channel. (Horse racing very big here, and the KD is a yearly milestone for this native of Louisville). Also big here: newspapers. Literally. the page sheet size is bigger here than in the US. I have been enjoying being informed and entertained in Auckland, Wellington, now Timaru by the local papers. I guess they haven’t heard print media is dead yet.
Then, met up with two different doctors for the beginning of orientation here. The Medical Council has decreed I will go to Christchurch tomorrow for two weeks of orientation to the NZ system before starting work in Timaru May 17.
We are now in the local library using the free internet. Quite full for a Sunday. People do read here.
We have to pack for Christchurch. More from there.

2 comments:

  1. Your journey sounds wonderful so far! It's definitely great being in a different country and feeling the excitement from all the new experiences. Also, the dream you had reminded me of my own. I had a dream the other day that I was home from Australia and I had been in East Greenbush for only five hours. I woke up very confused and found myself homesick that day. But skype really does help not feeling homesick! Enjoy Christchurch!

    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,

    You're going to need a bigger boat.

    ReplyDelete